As photographers, we have a precarious balance between giving advice and impeding on your day. Of course we want you to have beautiful photos, but we never want you to feel as if you can’t make your day exactly what you want it to be. There are small things that can make your wedding photos absolutely beautiful.
2. Let your mom take photos of you during the ceremony. If you want. You see all these posts about unplugged weddings and those are cool, but the truth is… capable photographers can work around that. Would we love some common courtesy surrounding ceremonies? Sure! No matter how capable we are, if someone steps in the middle of the aisle right when you’re first kissing, we’re gonna miss our shot. However, we understand that your parents are excited. They deserve to preserve your memories too if they want.
3. Let things happen – Your dress is going to get dirty. Your hair is going to fly with the wind. Things are going to run behind, but take the day as it comes. Every moment, even the ones where the horse is trying to also get a kiss is a photographic moment. When you hire photographers like me who rely on a large portion of the day as documentary-style, we don’t want perfect. If you’re hiring us, we hope that’s also how you feel. Of course if it’s going to jeopardize the way you feel about pictures or if you have spinach in your teeth, we’ll tell you.
4. Consider coordinating/matching getting ready outfits – Again, it makes things a lot more styled than normal, but it can make a surprisingly pleasing element to photos. You can have mix matched leggings like these girls for personality, but it makes you the center of photos.
5. Buy/Bring a cute hanger. If you’re a details person and would love something personalized, Etsy has plenty! I do my best to keep clean, dark brown hangers in my car, but if you’d like it to match your decor this works even better! Generic, plastic hangers can look dated and just not great.
6. Hire a professional hair/make-up artist – Any talented hair/make-up artist will tell you that hiring a professional is important. Sure your cousin does make-up but does she know how to prevent flashback? Do they know how to make sure your make-up is subtle yet still easily read by the camera? I think this is one thing you shouldn’t skimp on. Find someone you trust and who has done weddings and make sure you have a trial! You want everything to look the way you imagined on your day.
There you have it! Six simple tips to help out with your wedding day photos! Please drop anything else in the comments if you have it, I’d love to hear things you’ve done that have made a big impact for you. Of course there are the big things! A dress that fits, a cute venue.. Those things come easy. I’m here to help with the things that don’t.